Egg Cheddar Sourdough Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb sourdough
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 12 ounces of bacon
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes - drained
- 4 cups cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions - chopped
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 6 eggs
- While preheating oven to 350 degrees, in a large mixing bowl toss the sourdough and butter. Spread the sourdough evenly on a large baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Once the bacon is cooked, transfer it to a paper towel lined plate. Save 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease, pouring out the rest.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until caramelized (approximately 10 minutes).
- Now add the tomato and cook until all the liquid has evaporated (approximately 5 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the onion mixture and add the bread, bacon, green onion, stock and cheese. Stir together until well mixed and season to taste with salt.
- Spread this mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish and cover with tin foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Keep the tin foil on the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Now, remove from oven and make 6 indentations in the bread. Once the indentations have been made, crack 1 egg into each indentation. Once all 6 eggs have been added to the indentations, bake for another 15 minutes or until egg whites are set.